First, let's start with the basic:
1. when to start pumping.
- start to pump for storing at least 1-2 weeks before go back to work.
2. when to introduce bottle to a newborn?
- employed moms can help the baby learn to take a bottle once breastfeeding is going well. it is best to wait for 3 to 4 weeks to introduce bottles.
3. how long should i pump each time?
- pumping takes about the same time as breastfeeding, but with practice and a good pump, it can be as little as 10 to 15 minutes. while at work, try to pump as often as baby's usual feeds.
Then, go to the main agenda:
how to store breastmilk?
1. breast milk can be stored in a plastic or glass bottle with a sealable top, or in a sterile, sealable bag. each container should be labeled with the date, time the milk is expressed and if possible, the quantity in each container.
**L-R: milk storage kit, disposable liner, bottle, bekas dadih (erk, it's not the EBM contained), plastik aiskrim.
2. consider storing breastmilk in a variety of increments, some in 2 oz and some in 4 oz or more to avoid wasting it.
where to store breast milk?
1. at office:
a. use cooler bag to store breastmilk. no need to freeze unless your travel is not that long or your cooling bag able to withstand the freezed EBM until you reach home.
b. put the EBM into your house's freezer.
2. breast milk best:
a. room temperature - 4-8 hours
b. back of refrigerator - 3-8 days
c. back of a freezer compartment located inside a refrigerator - up to 2 weeks
d. back of a separate door refrigerator/freezer - up to 3 months
e. in separate deep freeze at a constant temperature - up to 6 months
how to thaw breastmilk?
a. swirl the container of milk in warm water or by putting the container in the refrigerator the day before it is to be used. d
b. don't use hot water to thaw breast milk!
c. never thaw frozen breast milk in a microwave oven. the milk could get too hot and burn your baby. microwaving can also destroy valuable proteins in breast milk.
d. use warmer to thaw breastmilk.
e. thawed breast milk can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours, but it should not be refrozen.